Broccoli Cashew Salad
Summer has arrived and just in time to celebrate Heritage Day which, in recent years, has become more known as South African National Braai Day … although in South Africa, we do not really need a reason to braai … it is our favourite way to spend time with friends and family.
This salad goes exceptionally well with a braai and it is an excellent way to get kids to eat more of their good, green veggies.
- 250g bacon
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 450g fresh broccoli, broken into florets
- ½ cup raisins or cranberries
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Cool bacon and crumble into pieces.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar in a mixing bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the broccoli, raisins, cashews, onion, and crumbled bacon.
- Stir until evenly coated.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad for at least 2 hours.
- Let stand at room temperature 15 to 20 minutes before serving.