I read menus the same way as I read recipe books … like a novel.
When we recently popped into Mugg and Bean for coffee, I noticed that they have a Carrot and Ginger soup on their menu. The ingredients ticked all my ‘to have’ boxes and I decided to try and construct my own version of this soup.
During the R&D process of developing a new recipe, it is sometimes difficult to pen all the ingredients and method down, as a lot of tasting and adjusting takes place. Do your own tweaking of my recipe if you need more or less of a bite.
- 6 Carrots scraped and cut into rounds
- ½ Onion, chopped
- Olive oil
- 2 Knorr Stock Pots (either chicken or vegetable)
- 1 litre boiling water
- 1 t freshly crushed garlic
- 2 t freshly grated ginger
- ½ handful fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ t ground coriander
- ½ t ground cumin
- Zest of ½ an orange
- Juice of the whole orange
- ½ chilli
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fry the onion, garlic and ginger in olive oil in a large pot until soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped coriander, ground coriander, ground cumin, chopped chilli and orange zest.
- Dissolve the stock pots in the boiling water. Add the water, orange juice and carrots to the pot.
- Let it simmer until the carrots are soft.
- Puree soup using a stick or jug blender for a smoother consistency.
- Season to taste