Two of my favourite ingredients, biltong and blue cheese, make this a ‘must have’ comfort dish for winter.
- 200g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 250ml flour
- 5ml ground cumin
- 150g biltong powder
- 2 Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot or 3 Ina Paarman Concentrated Vegetable Stock Sticks
- 1L boiling water
- 500ml milk
- 380g (1 can) Nestlé Ideal Unsweetened Evaporated Milk
- 5ml fresh nutmeg
- 200g mature Cheddar, grated
- 50ml sherry
- 50g blue cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- extra biltong slices, to serve
- Dissolve stock in 250ml of the boiling water.
- Melt butter in a large pot and add onion. Fry until soft and translucent, then add the cumin and biltong powder.
- Add flour to the onion mixture and lower the heat.
- Slowly add the stock, stirring continuously and adding the rest of the boiling water while stirring.
- Add milk in small quantities until it is well incorporated and creamy. Grate nutmeg into the soup and add the evaporated milk.
- Turn off the stove and add the cheese, stirring to melt. Once you have added the cheese, don’t boil the soup again, as it will split.
- Add sherry and mix well before adding the crumbled blue cheese, leaving some for serving.
- Season to taste.
- Puree soup using a stick or jug blender.
- Serve with sliced biltong and crumbled blue cheese.